Friday, March 13, 2009

Different Rhythms

It's almost spring .. out with the old, in with the new! But lately I've only been in-with-the-newing. Had some physical annoyances which prevented me from blogging and kept me at bay for a while, but they're gradually being solved by my daily massage+electricity treatment. I was recommended this place by a girl I met in the club a couple of weeks ago, and what with insurance covering the majority of the costs, it's basically a 1-hour treatment, every day, for 100 yen per time. Holy shit, right!? Yeah, my body, mind and wallet are in a very harmonious relationship at the moment.

The talk of the month is organizing registration stuff for school and MUSIC! Jungle Mic (new songs in the making - they're FUN!), MSB (second gig last weekend, new songs in the making as well, trying to plan recordings for our first demo now), and more: I jammed with a band called Eric Mandala and the Tribe and fit in quite well, so they invited me to gig with them as well. Unfortunately but hilariously, the guitarist/band-leader recently broke his arm in an arm-wrestling contest (epic) so he's AFK for a month or so. However, I've been getting along well with the drummer of that band, a Canadian dude who's maybe twice my age and has been in Kyoto for a number of years now. He does drum programming/sampling as well, and he has a vision which we're trying to put into practice. If it works out, it's going to be something like 2 guys with their respective keyboards and laptops, plus an acoustic drum set and percussion set. Me all red, him all black, walking in between the different gear and creating dance music based on loops created in the moment, live sampling and live drumming!! It's very exciting, but the setup is quite difficult (we might need to bring in our own sound guy at every gig since mixing the computer stuff with acoustic drums is gonna need a finely tuned ear). Anyway, in the most optimistic scenario our first gig is exactly two weeks from today!

Dance, too. Got around to watching some vids Koki gave me a while back, and grabbed a large dose of inspiration from Brian 'Footwork' Green. Furthermore, dancer buddies have been coming back from vacation (Europe mostly), and everyone hanging out as much as possible before all the graduating people move out late March / early April. Events abounding, and I managed to squeeze in a little show on the 21st (at another Jungle Jamboree) with a 3-man-team consisting of Ikeyan, Yamaa and me - house only this time, been a while. I gotta get my part of the choreo done by next Wednesday... And I've started on my quest to learn what there is to learn in my circle: funking, locking, breaking (practically speaking, I just relearned the six-step, but hey you gotta start somewhere!). I'm planning to ride along on the dance bandwagon for a long while!

Music I've been digging lately - check 'em out if you've got the time:

Me'Shell NdegéOcello
Phat Phunktion
Ali Farka Touré

I'm also downloading the already-old-new Tenacious D DVD and quite excited about it.

On the love side of life, I finally managed to match schedules with a certain girl from the dance circle. Next Tuesday .. let's see how that goes. Then there was a cute Osakan girl from another band at last week's Metal Passion, where I performed with MSB, and I think I'll meet her again later this month. Small things but they keep me happy and motivated.

With mom back in Mozzy and new and old friends taking up the old place in Amsterdam, plus me getting all the documents finalized for starting the real studying in April (and getting somewhat of a perspective on what the Master's entails - not as bad as you might think), I'm feeling like a new phase of the universe is beginning. All the best wishes to everyone, everywhere - you'd be surprised at how much time I spend every day thinking about all the people I've ever met, though of course that doesn't justify my lack of communication. I've been meaning to buy postcards for three weeks now, can you believe it? Living the happy life of an egoist in the Far East, I still can't believe it.

Finally, check out Jungle Mic's video blog. We've only got 3 episodes so far, but are planning to post one weekly. Comments welcome! If you'd like any particular translations I'll give them to you (like, for example, the details of how Kim grew up on White Base).

















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha dat stukje waar je je mond brandt aan eten.
he-le-maal stuk :D

Anonymous said...

Yo Youri, long time no speak. Is het daar ook lente? Afgelopen weekend weer spiritueel weekend dus ben even uit mijn egotrip (waar jij blijkbaar ook last van hebt, lees ik). Maar even op jou blog vertoeven is nog steeds spiritueler dan welk weekend ook. VET! Ik krijg kriebels om die kant op te komen, even kijken wanneer het mogelijk is. Ik denk pas na de zomer. Stuur me even je Skype naam dan regel ik een skype meeting over here. Laters!