Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Finallies Scattered Across Autumn

YES! I finally got it! That spine-tingling feeling running through all my neurons, muscles and veins at once! Though it’s never been gone, the move to my new place as well as dance and music have been sucking it out of me recently. I’ve been waiting for weeks for it to arrive at a time like this, knowing that it should arrive at some point, and here it is, FINALLY enabling me to write again! Of course I’m talking about INSPIRATION! That great evasive power which moves me to do the things that make life worthwhile... one of the elementary forces in my own circle of life: the cause and the effect, the product and the creator, the black and the white and all the colors you’ve never seen, the essence of my life force, and something that has a fascinating link to the concept of living in the NOW!

I was planning to give you a short list of contributing factors to the “why now (and not a week ago)?” issue, but after 208 words and realizing that I wasn’t even halfway, I figured I’d make it into the theme of this entry … so here we go!

Three days ago. I went to FrancFranc to buy a present for Nonchan’s birthday, and was extremely relieved to see that the 100.000-yen sofa of my dreams (one of those corner models that fits like 4 people) was still available despite being taken out of the internet catalogue. Even better, they tripled the amount of available colors, so, until my creditcard arrives, I’m stuck with the pleasant problem of which color best matches my apartment.

Three days ago. I finished my part of the choreography for Heartbeat Collective’s show at the university festival later this month, and it’s FUNKY! Can’t wait to have 6 people executing my movements. In 11 days, we need to show it to a judge of dance circle senpais in an effort to be selected to perform for the real thing on the 24th. Only half of the teams will pass the test, so tomorrow is a very important practice day. For the dance music heads out there, I went with that haughty naughty track called “Put Your Hands Up For Detroit” – for which I believe I owe Alexander Groot one.

Two days ago. I finished reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. After all these years of wondering what the hell that title meant, I now know that it was just waiting for the perfect time to drop into my life and help me further develop my own philosophy. There are two important things I got from this book. The first is a long-sought connection with someone else who shares my ideas about rationality, science and the union of the “classic” and the “romantic” perspective. The fact that that person, being fictional, wouldn’t qualify as “real” by all the classically thinking people doesn’t make much of a difference, as evidenced by this article about Japanese people who are serious about marrying manga characters. (Doesn’t it sound catchy though? "Come on, lose the 3D world already .. that’s so 21st-century!" - once again, Japan is on top of its game of pioneering the future and doing ridiculous crazy shit, and my growing sense of identity with this country allows me to say I’M PROUD OF IT!). Furthermore, in a fateful plot twist, I’m quite unconcerned with the insanity that that kind of deep thinking apparently tends to lead to (the main character completely loses it once and gets very close to a second disaster, but then there’s a sudden happy end), since I’ve gathered from various people that my old man had some serious brain discrepancies of his own, which fit beautifully into the picture.

The second thing I got from ZATAOMM (if my second band’s name wouldn’t already be Mindshaft Spirit Boots – making metal with Ari, Benkei and a Japanese chap called Taro since a month ago – I would probably make it this) is a decision to get my motorcycle license as soon as I can afford it. Cowabunga! From what I hear, it’s very cheap. Take this, for example. Something I’ve recently become aware of. Yet another advantage of living in Japan…did you think of this one yet? Here it is. ALL MOTORCYCLES COME FROM JAPAN. Well, almost. Anyway, they’re dirt cheap and there’s a terrific bike culture going on. Though I briefly wondered whether I should reconsider my idea that “bikers = coolness” after noticing that every other granny rides one here, I decided that it’s more entertaining to stick with the old thought…The Japanese are so cool! Honestly though, I already have a couple of friends that would be more than willing to go on long bike trips with me, and this is one temptation I’m eager to give in to.

Two days ago. I met up with Ikeyan and Nonchan for lunch, and to my very pleasant surprise we went to the most romantic café I’ve been to so far. Ikeyan found it online while looking for “good bread and coffee”. There’s no sign whatsoever on the outside, and even on looking through the undecorated windows I thought that it was just some family-run cardboard-box-selling business like the one next to my apartment. But no! Thou shalt look farther than thy eye beholdeth. It is in fact a bagel shop with exactly one employee, introspective music, photograph books about Tokyo in the 70s, the odd reference to French culture, a second floor with large windows letting in large doses of warm autumn sunlight, and delicious bagels (I went with fried pineapple/cream cheese, fried pork/cream cheese and something like peanut butter but made from something Japanese that is not peanuts). The specialty herbal tea (named after nearby Shimogamo shrine) was a delight, and I think I’ll have some good relaxed afternoons there this winter. Come to think of it, it reminds me a lot of winters a couple of years ago at my aunt Syl’s place. Same peace, same warmth.

Yesterday. Decided on the arrangement for the Jungle Mic song next in line for recording (starting on the 15th), and it’s getting groovier every time. Hung out at the studio for a couple of hours after practice finished – great atmosphere.

Today. Mail. I got a letter from my ISP today announcing the day – Wednesday next week - that my internet will FINALLY be connected. Despite 3 failed attempts at registrations and engineering works so far, I am kind of confident that this one will come through successfully. I also got mail from the University of Amsterdam – three copies of the monthly physics/math student magazine, this time containing an interview with me about studying in Japan. The effect of receiving an envelope with the UvA logo on it was very strong, and I could vividly imagine the NSA office and all the usual hustle and bustle back in Amsterdam. Reading that Wout and Joeri won the freshman-weekend beer competition also gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Today. I finished my Anki revisions in the afternoon for once, instead of at 2 am like every day lately.

Today. I just finished watching the last episode of Great Teacher Onizuka, an anime that has done a lot for me recently, most notably helping me to feel at home in my new place since I moved about a month ago, but also filling me in on what it means to be a teacher, what it means to be a teacher in Japan, and the coolness of motorbikes. The trigger for writing this entry…Highly recommended!

Today. My keyboard bricked out on me again and I’m waiting for instructions from the distributor on how to ship it back for repairs once more, freeing me from the sense of responsibility to organize performances for Jungle Mic. I was very aware of the risk involved with an attempted firmware update, almost assuming it to go wrong, so the disappointment was much less than last time. But with a riverside gig on Saturday, a club gig on the 14th, and recording on the 15th, time is more pressing this time. Fortunately, my man in Tokyo seems to be on it.

So you see, as long as you have about twenty awesome things happening in three days, you'll be sure to find inspiration enough to write another blog entry. Let's hope the next one will be shorter in the coming.



P.S. For those of you wondering how best to hold on to inspiration once you’ve got it: If you care to tell me how you do it, I’d be very happy, since I think it’s a very useful skill for anyone involved in any way with creative work, art, performance, expression and so on. I can tell you how I did it this time (I actually use this method quite a lot), but I’m convinced everyone has their own way, so the disclaimer reads “I cannot take any responsibility for the sense of loss and boredom you get after trying the following. However, if you do achieve success by these means, you are required to send 2.5 kg of homemade brownies to me by next-day delivery express mail.” Haven’t had brownies in ages.

Finally, then, the magic formula that enabled me to continue writing more than one paragraph…

*drumroll*


Listen to Cowboy Bebop and Naruto soundtracks.

Alrighty, I’m off to give Misa her Jordanian bath salt! Have a GRRRRRREAT Tuesday night!

P.P.S. You can check out Jungle Mic’s site-under-construction (check out the blog! Japanese, but with pix) here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
bedankt voor tips over hoe je inspiratie moet behouden. Het is inderdaad een goeie, maar eigenlijk is alle muziek die iets voor je betekent inspiratievol. Ik luister nu bijvoorbeeld Reasons van Earth Wind &Fire en mn benen zijn non-stop een beetje slapjes. Waarschijnlijk omdat ik bij EWaF een sterke associatie heb met mn vriendinnetje: Episch concert vorig jaar en de liefde was geboren. (vorige week zondag een half jaar samen:D)).
Misschien ligt de sterkste oplossing wel in het maken/doen van dingen(muziek!) die je echt heel leuk vindt. Het liefst in een groep: meer energie. Zodat je eigen daden je kunnen inspireren....
Voor de rest is inspiratie nog veel te oncontroleerbaar voor me. Misschien wel door gebrek aan structuur.
Ik werk nu het laatste stukje van je blog door. Je hoort nog van me!
Groetjes