Friday, August 8, 2008

Summer KICKOFF

It's been a while! During that while, it's been 90% humid 36-degree weather every day! Time to list some of the cool shit that happened since the last pix, as well as some future stuff:

  • I passed my entrance exam! Both written and oral exams didn't go well, and I'm sure I left a bad impression of my intellectual ability on all the professors involved. But since I made it, I don't care that much! The MSc course will begin next April, which gives me 8 months to revise undergrad physics (and maybe study ahead a little bit), take more Japanese classes, and settle into my new apartment (which I hope to find within a couple of weeks) before getting completely serious. Ideal, is it not?
  • I went to Tenjin Matsuri, one of the larger Japanese festivals, held annually in Osaka. One of the best things about that festival is this website, a truly sublime creation as far as websites are concerned. Be sure to indulge (I spoil you guys an awful lot, don't I...).
  • I had my first jam sessions, with 7 different people in total, and I'm awaiting contact from a cool funky band I saw by the riverside last Wednesday soon to find out when we can jam together, since we were all excited about it. Also bought my stand and gig bag - they need some pimping, but I'm as good as good to go. Though my vacation, which has finally really begun, is quite full with short trips here and there, I aim to spend lots of time with my treasured red love. I saw her insides for the first time yesterday, and removed the evil loose screw that was making a ruckus.
  • I went to a beer garden for the first time. It's basically a very informal all-you-can-eat-and-drink terrace on top of a department store. Rather less romantic and pretty than I'd imagined, but with people of all sizes and ages gathering and the food and drink being quite alright, it was very enjoyable.
  • I met up with my friend Yuuki from London, who was in her motherland for a brief month. "It's a small world" kind of feeling.
  • I lost my sunglasses.
  • I got hold of the Jazz Jackrabbit soundtracks - videogame music is just the best. Nostalgia galore! (Who needs sunglasses anyway...)
Holiday plans:
  • Biwako fireworks tomorrow, with Ego & other ppl.
  • Beach house party in Kobe on Saturday.
  • Uji fireworks on Sunday.
  • Day trip to Nara on Monday.
  • Meeting/clubbing with Koki on Tuesday (do I hear a FINALLY!?!).
  • Leaving for "camp" with tutor Ryu, his buddy, and Tareq early Wednesday morning, coming back Friday.
  • Leaving for Shizuoka with Misa & friends on Monday, coming back Wednesday.
  • Leaving for onsen trip with Misa on Monday, coming back the next day.
  • Leaving for Hiroshima trip with 100+ dancers on Sep. 4, coming back Sep. 7.
  • 2 weeks of Tokyo.
  • Finding apartment, studying music, jamming, dancing, partying, doing kanji, finally finishing downloading One Piece (DAMN it's slow).
YES!





















2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the ToToRo picture!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Love,
Mara

Elma said...

Great video of Tenjiu Matsuri. All those crazy festivals over there. Can you explain to an asia-analphabetic the differences between Japanese and Chinese culture? (Not that there is something like that, generically, like there is not just one Mozambican culture, but still maybe you can say something about it).