Friday, August 1, 2008

Music as Identity

During my whole stay here so far, I've been examining myself and the people around me to see how they define themselves (whether consciously or not) and how they come across to others (whether consciously or not). I also have discussions with friends (Japanese and non-) about the existence of a non-bodily soul (which I don't believe in) and the formation of identity. It's a theme that's been on my mind a lot for the past couple of years for sure, but this time in my life is providing me with a wonderfully interesting new light in which to view the evidence.

When I got off the plane on April 2, I wondered how my identity would change while being here. As a more practical matter, I wondered how I would come across to other people. And I was sure that I didn't want to lose touch with the identity, the life that I'd had before (as if that's possible at all - yeah, it was a major change in my life, so there you go). Since day 1, I realized that the main way in which I'm consciously trying to shape and maintain my identity is by music. Of course, that's how things were back in Holland as well, and I remember that I first wrote a list of "songs that are important to me" (sometimes adding the "why") back in late 2003, while I was traveling through Ecuador by myself.

I noticed that I've become more expressive in certain ways during the past two years as a result of focusing on expression through music and dance. I also tend to be attracted to people who have a similar sense of self-expression - in music and dance, of course, but also in other art forms or more down-to-earth things that allow expression, like cooking (unprofessionally), room decoration and clothing (though other priorities restrict my own self-expression in these latter two aspects...a reminder that the person I used to be, and who makes up a big part of my identity, is a true nerd! Awesome).

I guess that for professional musicians, or at least those who have the liberty to create the music they really want to, this is a very common issue, since all they really do is express who they are through their music - I'd love to have some discussion about this with pro musicians though, to see how conscious they are about what they're expressing. In particular, I am wondering about the sense of identity pro musicians - on the road and in the studio 300+ days per year - have. From the rare occasions I've had to speak with them, two contrasting standpoints emerged: the "I can't be bothered to deal with music outside my work - I need a break sometimes" and the "just like anyone else - grab my ipod as soon as the concert [I just performed] is over" way of doing things. Either way, they must certainly have a different attitude towards music than anyone not in their boat. The main thing that's keeping me from creating the dream of a full-fledged professional musician for myself is the fear that, compared to being an amateur musician and dancer who's having a BLAST with music in different settings and with different people, the cons outweigh the pros. We'll see, we'll see...(hell, fundamental physics is just as awesome).

Okay, my laundry's about done and I need to get cooking, so here's a list of music that's important to me right now:

  • Tower of Power. Excellent for locking, great balance between mellow soul and fast funk, fun compositions.
  • Chiclete de Banana. Party music if I've ever heard it. Having never been to Brazil, the abundance of this kind of music makes me think the Brazilian people have really managed to accomplish something spectacular in the ongoing human quest for how to have the best party. Plus it reminds me of Nice and Maputo, where I've had some great times with Brazilians and their music.
  • Marcus Miller. Somehow the coolest sound around. Funky, street-wise arrangements with hip-hop beats and that low-end sound with the dopest attitude...add in the occasional uncommon instrument, and I cannot but think this guy has some major chilling experience.
  • Kerri Chandler & Dennis Ferrer. Amazing fusion of African (and occasionally Brazilian) sounds with underground club electronics, resulting in some fabulous house music. My favourite dance tunes were created by these guys.
  • Ozric Tentacles. A world of inspiration for my synthesizing endeavours. I love listening to their medley of rock, reggae, psychedelia and fast electronic stuff.
  • Masters at Work. Would be classified with Kerri & Dennis, but these guys have a slightly more disco edge, and African is replaced by Middle- and South-American. I would recommend their Nuyorican Soul to anyone. In fact, it's speedrocketing (why does Google only give me 4 results on that word? Hmm...) up my list of favorite albums discovered this year (believe me, that number is huge), partially due to the fact that it's really an ALBUM. It's very satisfying to hear so many musicians and styles come together to create something that sounds so consistent, and I really think it attests to their producing mastery.
  • Tool. Slightly gloomy, unforgivingly genius rock. Together with Hiromi's Martin Valihora, this drummer takes the #1 spot.
  • Count Basie. Pure goodness, exciting me for my future jazz bar project with F.
Laundry, laundry...

No comments: