Monday, June 2, 2008

See How the Spiders of Jazz & Emoticons Weave Through Our Parallels?

First things first. In terms of the increase of my personal happiness, measured by looking not only at myself but also at the people who play a role in my life, the most important event of the past week was without a doubt Hiromi's show in Amsterdam. OK, I wasn't there, but I was delighted to read my friends' responses to the concert which, as expected, was completely fabulous. At the same time, her new CD was released in Japan last Wednesday, and though there are promos scattered around my mom's house in Amsterdam, I am in Japan, so I bought the CD, which is, as expected, completely fabulous. I don't think I need to stress my fandom of Hiromi much more, but if you're at all interested in the future path of music as it is being woven by today's young musicians, you have to check her out. On that topic, I wanna get a hold of Tony Grey's new album as well.

Still on the topic of huge amounts of happiness and music, I received my longed-for CME VX6 on Thursday night and was very happy to play around with it for an hour using various virtual instruments, until I had the relatively likely bad luck that flashing the firmware of the board went wrong: I 'bricked' the unit (from the single fact that that verb is in common use on the official CME forums I knew the risk was not small). But, I'm on good terms with Mr. Suzuki from Tokyo, the only distributor of CME in Japan, so tomorrow I'm sending the board to him by freight collect and he'll send it back, working, within a week. Frankly, the board has so much potential that I don't care if I have to send it to Tokyo 4 times before it works - it's going to be worth it for the SWEETness I'm gonna get out of it. (The pic is from before the bricking.)

Today was one of the laziest days so far. Internet addiction is a wonderful day-filler for the days after the nights in which you danced intensively for 6 hours, though I would've liked to study some more. Anyhow, last night I went to a club I hadn't been to before, Mojo West, up in Kitayama, which is slightly more north than Misa's place. Nice club, good music, and great dance entertainment from a bunch of shows and an awesome bboy team battle. The reputedly best bboy of Kyoto, one of the older guys around the scene who graduated from college and therefore doesn't hang out with the rest of 'em that much anymore, has a certain air about him that I find hard to describe but which had a profound effect on me. Dressed in black shoes, training pants and t-shirt and wearing an expression of relaxed arrogance, this guy managed to give me goosebumps during the battle. I'm pretty sure getting goosebumps from seeing a breakdancer is not a very normal thing, so he's obviously not a very normal guy. And a bunch of other bboys who I'd talked to while everyone was drunk at last week's dance circle drinking gathering were eager to repeatedly invite me into the circle - much fun. I want to focus more on floor moves for my house in the near future, so hanging out with bboys is a very good thing.

Twice during the past week I spent a large part of the night at Akio's place. He's a terrific locker and the guy I first talked to when I approached the dancers in front of the gym during my first week here (the guy on top on the pic with me and 2 dancers). Drinking and chilling with my dancer friends is one of the best ways to improve my Japanese; though I barely understand a quarter of what they say to each other for the speed and localized slang, it's a terrific aid in remembering everything I learn in class (since I'm really only learning useful, frequently used things) and catching up on the slang usage, as well as slowly catching on to the way sarcasm, boy/girl conversation and other subtleties are used in Japanese.

The first of these two times, Saturday night after the drinking gathering, I told them about what's going on between Misa and me. Finally! The reaction was hilarious; one of the girls immediately started asking me very detailed things about our sex life (and recently greeted me with "and, when have you last done it?" when I arrived at practice), and of course everyone was impressed by how the chance meeting between Misa and me on the very first day I went to the dancers (3 days after I arrived in Japan!) led to something like this. That night, about 8 people crashed in Akio's 1-room apartment, and we had a jolly good time. Around 1, I started feeling the effect of drinking too much random alcohol and eating a ton of different kinds of snacks, so I had some fun in the bathroom and actually passed out there for an hour (having decided that I wouldn't be able to make it to the club and dance after all, though I'd agreed with Ikeya to have some fun that night), after which I returned to the living room. At this point, most people were about to go to sleep, but fortunately they weren't very upset by me coming back full of energy and starting to ramble about all kinds of stuff, using words that were unintentionally interpreted as having a very sexual nuance and resulting in me being a Very Quoted Person at the subsequent dance practice. I did upset the cutest girl (who's one hell of hiphop dancer as well), but Misa told me that she always gets mad when people don't allow her to sleep and she gets over it fast.

Summer's approaching now! The days are getting longer, I spend most of the time in my room in underwear only, and I especially enjoy the warm nights. Sitting by the river, biking to the train station from the club or getting up in the early morning have become very pleasant. So what's the plan for this summer? Well, seeing as how I have a huge entrance exam directly after summer...I'm trying to find out when it will be exactly, and what I need to know in terms of physics. Though I'm going to sorely miss my Japanese classes once they're over (and will do everything I can do follow some more once I begin with the Master's, even if that means taking an extra semester or so for my Master's - hell, I'm *being paid* to study, so the longer the better), the extra time will allow me to get serious about revising all the physics I know (sounds scary). But I'm definitely going to Tokyo, probably at the end of August so I can catch a jazz festival (Hiromi!), for around 2 weeks. I need to visit Koki, Aki, Sono and Sonoe, and I can't wait to finally see the big city. Hopefully Mark will come to Japan around that time as well, and we can fulfill our promise of climbing Mt. Fuji together, for example. But other than that, I need to save a lot because I have to leave this dorm in September, and moving house requires a lot of money this time. Furniture, 3 months' deposit, key money...so after having bought my sweet keyboard, I need to save for that.

Alrighty, it's getting late and I need to be in good shape for my first karaoke session tomorrow, so I'm off to take a shower and chill. Catch y'all later ~ (and do know that your comments/e-mails are really appreciated).

















2 comments:

anspruchslose said...

Wow Youri! You're one of the most inspriring guys I know right now. I should check your blog every day, absorb the energy and then start my day with a fresh touch. I'm waiting for the first CME-production to be published, but I guess the CME is not working yet. And I'm wondering: have you already reached your 'own philosophy of life plateu. I'm lookin forward to the launch of your philosophy. You picked up a bunch of crazy (religious/womanizing) people around you but its seems you can have nice conversations and chills with them. Try drugs? I hope thats not my influence. But I do agree we have to try a lot. I will check the wiki-article about abiogenesis right now so, see you later! Keep it cool, keep it fresh

Elma said...

Hi prince! I couldn't agree more with Daniel, you having at least a hundred experiences a day as he wrote me in an email, seems you're really in the right place right time of your life. You being best friends with your Moslim brother with all these different views, reminds me of my great friendship with Jaime my christian friend I even went to church with him in Maputo and it's so gratifying to discuss with him the ethics of life.
This best bboy of Kyoto givin' you goosebumps, ever thought of havin' gay tendencies? Anyway seems that also sexually you're having a great time, not just with your girlfriend but even in terms of your talk interpreted as sex-related by your friends, interesting, I always thought only Africa was very sex-inspired Mozambique such a flirting society - got even a 25 yr old student in Beira thinkin' he was absolutely in love with me wanting that I present him to you my son as my future husband, tried to convince him that in spite of my younger lover I'm not quite a pedofile - but apparently you even find this in Japan or better said you create this in Japan. Anyway your energy is seepin' thru yr blog, keep it going. I'm amazed at my own energy and daring decision to go and live in Mozambique without any security, happy that you're supporting my crazy idea. However that means you're still not getting a mum knowing her place in the older generation me still alive and kicking in ways that aren't too common for people my age. You don't want to know how many times I was regarded, going out to concerts and festivals with Astrid, as her mother!!! But who cares, we don't, we're having the time of our lives having lost NiZA and feeling the whole world lies at our feet. The challenge is OUTRAGEOUS. Glad you love me anyway. Latest news: Chico is going to visit me from 15 - 30 of July, to help me paint my house and get to know my country. Weirdest things have happened...